Monday, January 04, 2010

Another Year – Another Trip – Another City

Today I’m off to DC.  Of course I was a bit worried about the situation at the airport, so instead of leaving the house 1.5 hours before the flights departure, I made it 2.5 hours early this time.  As long as the security lines were not a total nightmare I’d get to my flight in plenty of time.  Wouldn’t you know the airport is like a ghost town this morning.  The deck where I normally drive around looking for a spot looks like it’s been closed for a week and only opened this morning.  Where is everybody?  I could understand this if it were the week of Christmas or New Years, but this is a normal week.  Go figure.

The trip to this customer site is getting to be routine.  This is my third trip to this site.  Thought I did bring my GPS, I didn’t bother to print out a map or my hotel reservation.  I hoping and a little afraid that much of this year’s travel will be this way.  Familiarity makes business travel a little more like a long commute than a big deal full of planning and worry that I’ve forgotten something important.  However, it also means that I’m not going anywhere new or exciting.  Come to think of it, I’m a bit worn when it comes to new and exciting places.  Maybe familiar will do just fine.

Since my holidays ended yesterday and the new work year begins today, I’m counting this as the first of the new year.  I count it as a sign of real true happiness to think that I hope the coming year is as good as the last year.  This last 11 have been the best of my life and I sometimes wonder how many more I can string together with Dr. K, a good job, nice house, and dogs who love and amuse me.  I guess I’ll just have to enjoy the ride as long as I can.

Happy New Year, y’all!

No comments: