Monday, April 03, 2006

Mexico - Part 2

Monterrey is an OK place. My colleague and guide, Ivan, took me to a taco place for lunch today. Normally, a taco for lunch is not a big deal. I’ve been to Taco Bell hundreds of times I am ashamed to admit. But this is Mexico and the taco is king. I had the best tacos of my entire life. The Santa Fe taco with chicken, onion, tomato, and guacamole is out of this world.

The two hour lunch is encouraged because you aren’t expected to leave work until 7 or 8 at night. I guess the locals go home for siesta. Me and Ivan eat tacos.

I met a cabbie today as well. Ivan couldn’t be at the location where I was working, so I was on my own for transportation. My work is in Monterrey, but my hotel is in San Pedro. That in itself is part of the adventure. Now the language center of my brain has two sections. One larger section for English, and a smaller section for all the other bits and pieces of other languages that I have picked up. There is probably more Spanish in this part than any other, but this section is still a jumbled mess.

Now this cabbie doesn’t speak any English, and I’m trying to explain to him where I want to go. I remember that the town’s name is St. Peter in Spanish, but the Italian is mixed in there and I tell him San Pietro as in Vatican City. He just gave me the ‘Stupid American’ look and off we went. Well, I thought it was funny. Two wrong turns and $100 (pesos) later, we arrive at the hotel.

One last observation. I have noticed that there are very few large women here. It goes against the stereotype. It is not because there is not food here (see the taco section above). They just take good care of themselves.

More tomorrow.

6 comments:

No Hassle Loans said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Sanity Inspector said...

If you don't already know of him, you might enjoy the scribblings of Fred Reed, an expatriate curmudgeon drinking his retirement away in Mexico.

Anonymous said...

I've been to Mexico a few times. My grandmother went to a pricey restaurant and didn't like the soup. There was something undercooked and chewy in it, so she spit it back in the bowl. Then she saw them pour the bowl of soup back into the pot! So you've probably heard not to drink the water....I say stay away from the soup! :)

frozenminds said...

Going to a foreign country is a great experience one gets to the customs,culture and lifestyles and knowing one become very rich in knowledge,one can make friends and communicate and with Internet going
one can come closer than before.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Poker Chips