Sunday, February 17, 2008

Saturday Night in Concord, NC

Just reading those words in the title reminds me of a John Denver song from my youth.  The song is "Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio".  In case you aren't familiar with it, it goes something like this:

"Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio is like being nowhere at all.
All through the day how the hours rush by, you sit in the park and you watch the grass die.

"You ask how I know of Toledo, Ohio? Well I spent a week there one day.
They've got entertainment to dazzle your eyes: go visit the bakery and watch the buns rise."

You get the idea. 

Well, Dr. K and I found just the opposite in Concord last night.  We attended the Old Courthouse Theater's production of "Moon Over Buffalo".  The play was hilarious.  Jim the Knife is a good friend and the male lead in the play. 

I have to say it really is a bitch supporting your friends sometimes.  We had to drive a whole 20 minutes to be greeted as somebody special, sit in a comfortable theater for 2 hours, be thoroughly entertained by a troop very talented actors and in the end have the wife be very happy with her man for the hefty price of $15 per person.  Oh, the things I'll endure for my friends. :)

I've known for some time that Jim has a great voice.  I've also seen him act in some commercials, but last night, he put the whole package together.  I would have been impressed with his performance had he been a complete stranger.  He was professional quality.  I really think he could go as far as he wants with his acting.

We were also very impressed with the performances of Andrea Rassler as the daughter and Becky Porter who played the grandmother.  Those were the standouts, but there wasn't a weakness in the entire cast.  They were all terrific.

The greatest discoveries are those that show up in unexpected times and places.  I would not have expected so much from an evening in Downtown Concord.  It was a great discovery and a wonderful evening.

1 comment:

Jim The Knife said...

Hey Now... Thanks for the most kind words.....