Monday, August 08, 2005

A Really Fun Poker Hand

This past weekend, I’m playing in a ‘penny ante’ (since that amount is legal in NC) NLHE winner-take-all tourney. There are currently four players with the blinds getting to the stress level for all players. I’m on the big blind with a medium stack. UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, SB folds. I look down at AJs and raise it up to 3 or 4 times the blind. My opponent, we’ll call him Batman (which is a story in itself), thinks for a while and goes all in with about 2/3 the number of chips I have. Before he gets the last L out, I call.

To my horror, Batman flips over JJ making the rest of my night look like a troll, short and grim. Perhaps I was mistaken in my call? J

Then the flop starts with a Jack and the house erupts as my heart falls into my shoes. Batman starts grinning from ear to ear and I feel like Robin when the Batmobile needs a push start (legs are weak, can’t get a breath, and pissed at the Batman). Can you believe that this hand was actually over before we got to the turn - and I had the nuts. It’s not hard to figure out that the next 2 cards were AA. “You have no outs, Bat-breath!”

The next two cards were QQ so that I improved to As full of Qs. And I thought hands like that only happened in Canada. I just love a happy ending.

No comments: