Sunday, September 11, 2005

In Germany

I arrived in Germany at 1 am, er, make that 07:00. It just seems like 1 am. The flight from Charlotte to Frankfurt was direct, which was good and bad. It was good for the obvious reasons, short as possible, no connections. It was bad in that I had to put up with my seat neighbor the whole way. There was no landing to trade him in.

He was a big older man who didn't give a shit about anybody else in the world. If he poked me with his elbow once, he poked me with his elbow a billion times. Everytime he moved, that elbow was hitting me somewhere. The first time I asked if he would "give me some space". The second time I uped the ante by telling him that I paid for my seat and wanted the space that went with it. I knew he would get the hint then. About half way through the flight we had a heart-to-heart talk where I explained to him that I don't want to be touched and to stay on his side. Childish? You bet. Effective? Somewhat. He hit me less which was good enough. Just add that to the ways that people are rude to each other.

Next post: Reclining Seat Backs

No comments: