Sunday, October 30, 2005

Poker at BG's (cont.)

For the second tourney, the buy in went up to 30 er… credits and I knew that I had to change up if I was going to do anything. I started by calling Dr. Pauly for my first dial-a-shot. I never drink at the poker table. I thought that now was the time to change that. I’m new to the dial-a-shot thing and I really don’t know the protocol for leaving a dial-a-shot on voice mail, but it was all I got so I asked for a return call for the next 20 minutes and waited. No callback came so I shot without him.

Something must have clicked because shortly thereafter I busted out a player when my 2 pair held up against his flush draw. Several hands later I called down a stone cold bluff with a middle pair to bust player #2. I lost the next all in (his all in) to the eventual second place finisher. The very next hand had the player to his right go all in pre-flop. I held Ad3d and his all in would cost me about 1/3 of my chips. Call. He turns KQ and misses.

This leaves me heads up with the player to my left. I have about a 8-to-1 chip lead. I pound him down a bit and then he doubles up. So I pound him down some more until eventually he goes all in with a board of 4 5 Q. He has a 4 and I have a Q. End of match.

After the month of poker that I have had, this doesn’t make up for the losses, but at least I feel like I can play poker. Maybe it is just a flash. I hope not. Actually, poker is going to have to take a back seat to the real world issues going on, at least for a while.

Thanks Dr. Pauly, where ever you are.

12 comments:

Graham Jones said...

That brings back memories.

bigdreamlife said...

Great blog!
Prosper

Lebanon recordor said...

Be careful with the money

George said...

Great blog, You have sone a great job here. Keep up the good work.

Graham Jones said...

Food for thought.

Graham Jones said...

Food for thought.

Thomas said...

Good halloween animation...
Climate Mash

Hat Girl said...

Okay Poker Guy, your blog must be very popular, because everytime I 'blogsurf' on the internet, your blog comes up more than once. Don't worry about the losses, I can't even win at a game of Monopoly. Of course, I don't bet moolah on it. ;)

Gary Freedman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sareet said...

What is a "dial-a-shot?"

Special K said...

A dial-a-shot is when you call someone up, preferrably from an odd location, with the intention of each of you doing a shot of you bevrage of choice. For many poker bloggers, that drink is Southern Comfort. For more on dial-a-shot, see http://taopoker.blogspot.com

Jeff said...

It's taken me 40 years to get a solid game, and I still learn something new every day.