Sunday, October 30, 2005

Poker at BG's (cont.)

For the second tourney, the buy in went up to 30 er… credits and I knew that I had to change up if I was going to do anything. I started by calling Dr. Pauly for my first dial-a-shot. I never drink at the poker table. I thought that now was the time to change that. I’m new to the dial-a-shot thing and I really don’t know the protocol for leaving a dial-a-shot on voice mail, but it was all I got so I asked for a return call for the next 20 minutes and waited. No callback came so I shot without him.

Something must have clicked because shortly thereafter I busted out a player when my 2 pair held up against his flush draw. Several hands later I called down a stone cold bluff with a middle pair to bust player #2. I lost the next all in (his all in) to the eventual second place finisher. The very next hand had the player to his right go all in pre-flop. I held Ad3d and his all in would cost me about 1/3 of my chips. Call. He turns KQ and misses.

This leaves me heads up with the player to my left. I have about a 8-to-1 chip lead. I pound him down a bit and then he doubles up. So I pound him down some more until eventually he goes all in with a board of 4 5 Q. He has a 4 and I have a Q. End of match.

After the month of poker that I have had, this doesn’t make up for the losses, but at least I feel like I can play poker. Maybe it is just a flash. I hope not. Actually, poker is going to have to take a back seat to the real world issues going on, at least for a while.

Thanks Dr. Pauly, where ever you are.

8 comments:

bigdreamlife said...

Great blog!
Prosper

Anonymous said...

Be careful with the money

Anonymous said...

Great blog, You have sone a great job here. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Okay Poker Guy, your blog must be very popular, because everytime I 'blogsurf' on the internet, your blog comes up more than once. Don't worry about the losses, I can't even win at a game of Monopoly. Of course, I don't bet moolah on it. ;)

My Daily Struggles said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
S said...

What is a "dial-a-shot?"

Special K said...

A dial-a-shot is when you call someone up, preferrably from an odd location, with the intention of each of you doing a shot of you bevrage of choice. For many poker bloggers, that drink is Southern Comfort. For more on dial-a-shot, see http://taopoker.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It's taken me 40 years to get a solid game, and I still learn something new every day.