Thursday, June 26, 2008

Iraq - Day 11

So my bicycle is dead.  I can live with that.  Yea, right.    I think I may be able to bring her back to life.  The problem with the bike is that too many spokes on the rear wheel have broken.  It doesn't look broken, but close inspection reveals the problem.  It occurred to me this morning that I can probably fix it if I just get some more spokes or maybe move the remaining good spokes around to even out the load.  Luckily, I bought a new leatherman tool before I left the States.  All I need is another pair of pliers, and I may be back in business.  If I can located an abandoned bike with the right size wheel, I'll be golden.  So I retrieved the bike from the DFAC this morning on my way back from breakfast.  We'll see what I can find and exactly how much effort I want to put into this.

In other news, it is hot.  The dust has died down for the last several days.  It helps.

I really appreciate the comments and emails.  Even though I'm about on the other side of the world, it is nice to hear from you and to keep up with what is going on at home.  I keep getting comments like 'be safe' and 'keep your head down'.  I appreciate your concern and I plan to practice safety at all times.  Truth is, I have not seen or heard any threat since I've been here.  I don't expect to see or hear any and I'll fly out in about a week as long as the weather and the airlines cooperate.

The big happening today was eating a Whopper.  Yep, we went to the Burger King on base.  I'm pretty sure it was the first catsup and mayo that I've had in 2 weeks.  It tasted just like they do back home.

No big stories or issues today.  I'm going to hate missing poker this weekend, but I'll be home a week later.  Maybe there will be a Sunday game next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could also use a few spokes from the front wheel - but not too many!

Glenn

Unknown said...

15 days from Okie...

See you there!